Thursday, May 1, 2008

Gavin's 1st day of Preschool...




I can't believe that our little man started preschool today. It's a program called Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) which our school district offers as soon as kids turn 3. Tony and I had qualms about sending him (germs) so that's why he's starting at the END of the year...we know that the worst of the cold and flu season is behind us. We LOVE Gavin's teacher, Michelle. She has just been wonderful, and for the first time we feel like someone truly understands the seriousness of Gavin's post-transplant status. She doesn't make us feel like over-protective parents; rather, parents that just have to be a little more careful than the average lot.

Gavin was so excited waiting for the bus. Everytime he heard a motor, "Mom, I think I hear it...GAVIN's BUS!" and then when the car/truck/whatever would get to our house he'd say, "Aww Man! It's just a blue car..."

Gavin was actually jumping up and down when he saw his bus for the first time. He had a moment's hesitation climbing the steps when he turned around and asked, "Gavin AND Mommy go to school?" I told him, "No, just Gavin because Gavin's a BIG BOY and mommy has to stay home and take care of Olivia."



There was a moment of panic in his eyes, but Miss Jessie, the para on the bus, did a great job of getting Gavin excited to ride to school. Pretty soon he was waving out the window and they were gone. That's when I got inside and had my cry. My little boy is growing up!